Monday, February 07, 2005

Takeover Theory

Perhaps some food for thought on support for the takeover theory.

I'm thinking that people WANT to believe the ME theory, because it sounds ordered, but I have my doubts as to whether people actually believe it. Because if you actually believe a theory, you would live your life by it. Thus I don't think people actually believe ME too greatly, and here's why:

If I go into a car dealership and want to buy a new Ford (well, make that a Subaru or something more reliable), I'm going in to buy a car. I'm not going in to buy all the particles that makes up a car. Surely if I recieve a pile of metal which contains all the pieces of a car, I'm not going to say, yes that is what I'm paying for. I am paying for 70 billion particles that compose a car. I say no, give me my $15,000 back. When I want to buy a car, I want to buy an object of a particular sort. I want it to have an engine, run cleanly, and get me from point A to point B. If I destroy those characteristics, by ME I havent destroyed the car, merely those properties. The car still exists as the same object. But thats not how I live my life on a day to day basis. I like the sound of ME, its all very ordered, but I think its all just mind games.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

-Dan

4 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

I agree that the ME theory is not as sound as it appears to be on the outside, and I do not completely agree with it at this point. However, in the explanation of the ME theory, it does take into account the difference in the state of the particals. For example, according to ME theorists, Socreties still exists, but not in human form. Noting this difference, i think, it might be possible for a person beleiving in ME to go out to buy a 'car in working car form' and not a 'car in a nonfunctional form.' In that way, a person could live their life 'normally' and still bevieve in ME.

3:44 PM  
Blogger Sabrina Sitkoski said...

So this is a comment in support of Dan, sort of. the Takeoever theory states that the arrangement of particles is what determines what something is. For living life on a daily basis this is, in fact true. How particles are arranged is how they function in actual life. The ME point of view makes no sense because arrangements of particles is irrelevent to them. And, because arrangement of particles is relevent to life, for example, we would not be humans if our particles were arranged differently, the ME view is not correct for living on a daily basis.

7:59 PM  
Blogger Sam Lehman said...

I agree with Rachel. ME accepts concepts that seem totally counterintuitive (such as the existence of Socrates) but it doesn't argue that socrates is going to look, act smell, or be arranged in any way similarly to the original socrates. ME basically states that a term describing a hunk of particles is only as effective as those perceiving it at the time. Me seems flawed in that I can't go shake Socrates' hand, but it really just means accepting that those particles are still around and that they once described a man.

1:56 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

When you say you want a birthday cake you don't get a bag full of ingredients, you get a baked cake. Even though the cake is made up of the ingredients that isn't what you've asked for. When you go to buy the car you asking for the car in car form not the "ingredients" that make it up.

8:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home