Monday, February 28, 2005

Staying Alive

Staying Alive is a game of personal identity. You are asked three questions. Your answers are then assessed for consistency and whether you took unnecessary risks. After you finish, there is also a link to some paper on personal identity that I have never read.

For an overview of personal identity that I have read, see Conee and Sider's chapter on personal identity. (Sider's site uses annoying frames so the link is not direct. Click on 'Riddles of Existence' at the bottom of his page and then 'Chapter 1: Personal Identity Over Time'.) The chapter is short and clear and might help to make sense of difficult issues. Also, the objections considered by Sider are interesting, but we will not have time to discuss many of them. This source might be a good one to keep in mind when thinking about a future paper topic (hint, hint).

3 Comments:

Blogger Dan McCormick said...

This game is really interesting. As it turns out, it seems I like my soul way more than I like my body, which is not what I would have guessed of myself previous. Also, I seem inconsistent in one choice. So apparently, given a few situations my entire life view has been shot. Even so, try this, very entertaing, if nothing else...

8:58 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I too prefer my soul although i knew that before. I believe in reincarnation so i kinda have to. Anyway, i was surprised when i found out that i died. I followed psychological continuity theory until the last one when i went with soul theory. I guess it just reitterates that i don't really know where i stand except that i am sure there is a soul...

8:52 AM  
Blogger Michael Silverman said...

This game is unfair. I went with the theory that bodies are all that are nessicary to survive. For the last question, it said "suppose it is found that reincarnation is possible" so obvoulsly I had to leave my theory that bodies are all that matter because the idea that reincarnation is possible seemed like it denied the body identity theory. Well, at least thats what I thought

11:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home